AA qualifications for foreign (prospective) accountants

If you earned a certificate of secondary or higher education and you would like to study Accountancy in the Netherlands, your first step is to contact a ‘hogeschool’ (university of applied sciences) or university of your choice. In order to determine admission and possible exemptions, you could ask the university for an evaluation of your certificate(s).

Before you arrive in the Netherlands, make sure you have all the documents needed to enter and stay in the country.

Students with an EER (EU plus Norway, Iceland and Switzerland) nationality do not need a residence permit. Non-EU/EEA students who plan to stay in the Netherlands for at least three months, must apply for a residence permit at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service. First check with your university whether they'll make the necessary arrangements for you.

Diploma recognition and evaluation of foreign diplomas

Nuffic is one of the largest and prominent knowledge centers in Europe in the field of international recognition of diplomas. The organisation has been designated by the Netherlands Ministry of Education, Culture and Science as the Dutch recognition information centre for two European networks: NARIC and ENIC.

Nuffic offers the following services and products in the field of credential evaluation:

  • Evaluation of foreign diplomas
  • Evaluation of Dutch diplomas
  • Credential evaluation courses
  • Consultancy and projects
  • Information services 

Where possible, a foreign diploma is equated with a Dutch diploma. If the foreign study was too specific, Nuffic will at least try to indicate a comparable level. It’ll take into account the individual courses or modules that were taken, the study load and the academic level of the programme.

Nuffic evaluates credentials or provides telephone advice on request. For more information, please visit Nuffic's website.